1986 Topps Traded Set (Card Display)
Original baseball card art
The Traded Series was born in 1981. This 132 card box set was released at the end of the season to include traded players, free-agent signings, and rookie debuts. It helped launch a rookie card craze among collectors with Fernando Valenzuela and Tim Raines. However, the 1986 set gets all the fame with its iconic design and impressive class of rookies: Bonds, Canseco, Jackson, Clark, Galarraga, Bonilla and Joyner. I couldn’t destroy these perfectly mint cards in the name of art, so I designed a card display featuring the graphics from the Traded Set box. The cards are ungraded, but they are pristine… I broke them from a never-opened box that I've had since my childhood, and they are all well-centered.
More about my 34" baseball card art displays
Some cards are just meant to be preserved and showcased as a collection to display as artwork. My card displays celebrate both the cards themselves and their product design and packaging.
- I expose the wood grain as homage to the game's wooden bats, and it's diamond-shaped to reference to the infield.
- Each diamond is made from a 24" plywood square (1/2" thick), which measures 34" x 34" when hung on a wall.
- Black border acrylic card cases from BCW are screw-mounted to the plywood, with access on the back to remove them and replace cards.
- Each display ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.