1988 Topps All-Star Rookie: Mark McGwire (Giant Gum Stick)
Original baseball card art
This piece art artwork happens to also be my first broken piece of gum. I've symbolically chosen the '88 Topps Mark McGwire. Big Mac broke the rookie HR record in '87 (he belted 49 HRs), and was named to the Topps All-Star Rookie team. He would eventually fracture the sport with a steroids scandal.
The gum stick inside a wax pack often broke into two pieces... this broken stick is made with acrylic paint on plywood.
More about my giant gum stick baseball card art
The last card inside a junk era wax pack would often get stuck to, or stained by, the piece of gum inside. My childhood memories of chewing hard sticks of bubble gum became the inspiration for making these large scale gum sticks.
- My gum stick paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats. I hand bevel the wood with a router to create the proper shape, which also captures highlights on the edges and supplies nice drop shadows on the wall.
- The sticks are painted with my own multi-layer technique, making them look realistic.
- Each gum stick measures 12" x 36" and is designed to hang on a rotated angle of 9 degrees. This represents how the gum is typically positioned imperfectly inside the package.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.