Calling all artists
I’m giving you the opportunity to put baseball's all-time hits leader (4,256) in Cooperstown! While many of Pete's artifacts live inside the hall, Rose's ban for gambling has prevented him from being inducted into the Plaque Gallery.
Starting on October 14th, 2021, as many as fourteen different artworks will go on virtual display inside the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum* by using augmented reality (AR). This pop-up exhibit will be available for two weeks throughout the MLB postseason.
What will this exhibit look like? Here's an example of an interactive AR experiment I conducted as a test... viewing it outdoors on my smartphone. The Pete Rose pop-up exhibit will be created in a similar fashion with an installation of floating frames. Artworks will be featured on both sides of each frame.
*The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum is not affiliated in any way with this project.
How is it possible to put your artwork inside the Hall of Fame?
This exhibit is made possible with Over the Reality (OVR). I own a piece of virtual property at the National Baseball Hall of Fame on ovr.ai, an augmented reality metaverse... powered by Ethereum. OVR has mapped the entire earth into 1.6 trillion hexagons. Each hex represents a unique land NFT that can be purchased in their marketplace. The hex I own is located in the southeast corner of the museum, which is home to the Learning Center… adjacent to the ‘Art of Baseball’ exhibit.
How to submit artwork for consideration?
This pop-up exhibit is a curated by Matthew Lee Rosen. All artwork submissions must be sent via Tweet no later than September 30th:
- Tag myself (@MatthewLeeRosen) & OVR (@OVRtheReality) in the photo.
- Include the hashtags #PeteRoseHOF #OVRMetaverse
- Final selections will be announced on October 7th.
This exhibit is not focused particularly on baseball card-themed art. I encourage participants to express themselves uniquely. All types of visual content will be considered: digital creations, hand made creations, original photography, sculpture, etc. You may submit more than 1 entry.
Suggestive themes for artwork:
- Charlie 'Hustle'
- HOF Plaque
- Career Hits Leader (4,256)
Requirements for submissions:
- Only images (.jpg) will be selected for this exhibit.
- Other media types (3D objects, videos, GIFs, etc.) will not be considered.
- You may submit an image of a 3D work or sculpture, etc.
- Images should be composed in a 5x7 vertical ratio (1000 x 1400 px).
- High res .jpg files may be requested after final selection.
- Artworks will be displayed in digital gold polygon Victorian frames.
- Failing to meet these guidelines may disqualify you from selection.
My personal entry for this exhibit is a betting slip, imagined to be placed during the 1987 All Star Game in Oakland. A day when Pete may have been on vacation in Vegas for the All Star Break. The Reds spent 92 days in 1st place of the NL West that season, but were eventually overtaken by the Giants in late August.
My Personal Submission
How can I view the exhibit in the Hall of Fame, and share my experience?
Because I own this metaverse property, I’m able to publish creative content onto the hex for viewing in AR on your smartphone. This is accomplished by using OVR’s Builder (software development kit) to design augmented reality content with 2D and 3D objects.
This content can be experienced inside the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum at its exact location in the Learning Center. It can also be viewed remotely from anywhere else in the world by visiting the land's unique 3-word address (rica.iron.sinking).
- Download the OVR smartphone app (Google Play & Apple).
- Create your free account!
- Visit the URL ovr.ai/land.rica.iron.sinking on your smartphone browser and click "Open in App." Or, alternatively you can use the search bar within the OVR app to find "National Baseball Hall of Fame" or "rica.iron.sinking"
- Select the purple-colored "Live" Hex
- Click "Live Experience Remotely"
You may share your experience by posting screen capture photos or videos on your favorite social media with hashtags #PeteRoseHOF #OVRMetaverse
What is the goal of this project?
My aim is not necessarily to get Pete Rose inducted into the HOF, but to introduce others to the metaverse. The blockchain technologies being developed today allow us to accomplish unthinkable things... like putting Pete in Cooperstown.