1987: Return of the Cup
Limited edition print run
Chance of receiving a special insert! Details below.
Topps named their first All-Star Rookie team in 1959, and introduced a tall trophy for 1960. In 1973, they replaced it with this smaller Revere Cup. But, it disappeared after the 1978 set.
Fast forward to 1987... it was the middle of the card boom and Topps was facing increased competition from Donruss, Fleer and new upstart Sportflics. Jose Canseco's Rated Rookie was taking the hobby storm, and boxes of Donruss were flying off the shelves.
Topps needed to counteract. So, they turned back the clock 25 years with a wood grain design reminiscent of 1962, and returned the cup. The result was an iconic set referred to as “Woody,” which would later become synonymous with the junk wax era.
The 1987 Canseco All-Star Rookie was his first card released in wax packs, although his true rookie card was issued in the 1986 Traded set. Due to massive over production, it's estimated that at least 1 million of these Canseco cards were printed, with some industry experts guessing upwards of 4 million.
The repeated pattern represents the overproduction.
- With your purchase, you might receive a limited, white label, holographic edition.
- Only a small number are available, from a test print run of holographic samples. Edition numbers are random and will match your order sequence.
- This insert is initialed by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen, in matching white paint marker.
More about this custom print
I've turned my design into an excellent quality, limited edition collectible, featuring:
- Heavy card stock
- Raised print on the yellow trophy
- Additional raised print on the back description
- Metallic Ink on the card numbering
Here's what you'll receive with this order
- An original, limited edition print.
- Your art cards will be protected inside an Ultra Pro One Touch magnetic card holder... customized with my matching Rosen signature label.
- I do not sign these cards by request. However, your package will include bonus items, personally autographed by me.