1989 Topps All-Star (Giant Gum Stick)
Delivery time is estimated at 7-10 days.
Original baseball card art
Topps printed a lot of All-Star cards in the junk wax era. However, few of them stand out as iconic designs. The script font and ribbon from the '89 set happens to be one of the most memorable from the decade. The colors of the design alternated for the two leagues, with the National League players getting more blue injected into the logo, while the American League featured more red.
More about my giant gum stick baseball card art
The last card inside a junk era wax pack would often get stuck to, or stained by, the piece of gum inside. My childhood memories of chewing hard sticks of bubble gum became the inspiration for making these large scale gum sticks.
- My gum stick paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats. I hand bevel the wood with a router to create the proper shape, which also captures highlights on the edges and supplies nice drop shadows on the wall.
- The sticks are painted with my own multi-layer technique, making them look realistic.
- Each gum stick measures 12" x 36" and is designed to hang on a rotated angle of 9 degrees. This represents how the gum is typically positioned imperfectly inside the package.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.