1986 Topps Traded #11T: Barry Bonds (Giant Gum Stick)
Original baseball card art
The 1986 Topps Traded set was one of the most iconic for rookie cards... Canseco, Jackson, Clark, Galarraga, Bonilla and Joyner all debuted in the set. But, the card that highlights them all features a skinny young Barry Bonds in a Pirates jersey. Made with acrylic paint on plywood.
More about my giant gum stick baseball card art
The last card inside a junk era wax pack would often get stuck to, or stained by, the piece of gum inside. My childhood memories of chewing hard sticks of bubble gum became the inspiration for making these large scale gum sticks.
- My gum stick paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats. I hand bevel the wood with a router to create the proper shape, which also captures highlights on the edges and supplies nice drop shadows on the wall.
- The sticks are painted with my own multi-layer technique, making them look realistic.
- Each gum stick measures 12" x 36" and is designed to hang on a rotated angle of 9 degrees. This represents how the gum is typically positioned imperfectly inside the package.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.