Original baseball card art
Donruss launched in 1981, and for their first 4 years the designs were pretty bland: white borders with rather uninspiring graphics. However, something happened in '85... I suspect they changed creative directors. The new design was bold: a black border with complimentary red striping. They also created the iconic Rated Rookie logo that year, which was redesigned from it's introduction a year earlier in the '84 set.
This piece is made with the two most popular cards from the 1985 set: Roger Clemens and Kirby Puckett rookies... underneath a layer of painted plexiglass.
Note: I've priced this piece at a discount due to some paint blemishes that created unsatisfactory imperfections.
More about my 34" diamond baseball card artworks
- My paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats, and shaped like diamonds... a reference to the infield.
- Each diamond is made from a 24" plywood square (1/2" thick), which measures 34" x 34" when hung on a wall.
- Some of my artworks also incorporate the use of spray-painted plexiglass.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.