Commissioned baseball card art
I will create a single custom gum stick based on a Topps card of your choice. I prefer to work with cards from the junk wax era. However, I will accept requests for any cards prior to 1992 (when Topps stopped including gum in their packs).
Once your purchase is made, the following steps will occur:
- I'll follow-up on your order to confirm which card you want to use.
- Mock-up designs will be sent for selection/approval.
- Once approved, I'll create your artwork (shaping the wood, creating stencils, and painting the art).
- After completion, your artwork will ship.
More about my giant gum stick baseball card art
The last card inside a junk era wax pack would often get stuck to, or stained by, the piece of gum inside. My childhood memories of chewing hard sticks of bubble gum became the inspiration for making these large scale gum sticks.
- My gum stick paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats. I hand bevel the wood with a router to create the proper shape, which also captures highlights on the edges and supplies nice drop shadows on the wall.
- The sticks are painted with my own multi-layer technique, making them look realistic.
- Each gum stick measures 12" x 36" and is designed to hang on a rotated angle of 9 degrees. This represents how the gum is typically positioned imperfectly inside the package.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.