Louis Rodman Whitaker Jr. (Louis Vuitton)
Original baseball card art
Louis Rodman Whitaker Junior. Sweet Lou was the 1978 A.L. Rookie of the Year... 5x All-Star... 3x Gold Glove winner... and World Series Champion. The dude flashed a lot of leather at second base for 19 years, all with the Detroit Tigers.
When I think of fine leather, I also think of the name Louis Vuitton. So, I've parodized their iconic logo pattern, using the initials LW. This piece was made with 70 Lou Whitaker 1989-90 Donruss cards, layered underneath spray-painted plexiglass. The orange backs of the Donruss were selected intently as a reference to Whitaker's career with the Tigers.
More about my 34" diamond baseball card artworks
- My paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats, and shaped like diamonds... a reference to the infield.
- Each diamond is made from a 24" plywood square (1/2" thick), which measures 34" x 34" when hung on a wall.
- Some of my artworks also incorporate the use of spray-painted plexiglass.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.