Original baseball card art
Can you answer this without googling? The fronts of cards from the junk wax era get all the love, but the backs of are so underrated. The vintage cardboard stock was filled with gum-scented stats, comics, fun facts and trivia. In the 80's, Topps frequently printed selections from their annual sets onto 5x7 jumbo-sized cards. So, I made a jumbo-sized trivia question from Mario Soto's 1985 card!
This piece was made by layering spray-painted plexiglass on top of 20 Topps jumbo cards... including: Mario Soto, Tom Seaver, Fernando Valenzuela, George Brett, Ozzie Smith, Dave Parker, Eddie Murray and Jim Rice.
More about my 34" diamond baseball card artworks
- My paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats, and shaped like diamonds... a reference to the infield.
- Each diamond is made from a 24" plywood square (1/2" thick), which measures 34" x 34" when hung on a wall.
- Some of my artworks also incorporate the use of spray-painted plexiglass.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.