Original baseball card art
In 1982, a year after entering the market, Donruss introduced their Diamond Kings subset. The card designs featured the fine artwork of sports painter Dick Perez, and the collection was topped off with a 63-piece puzzle to honor a Hall of Fame Diamond King.. Each wax pack included one puzzle piece, and Babe Ruth was the subject of the inaugural puzzle.
For this painting, I chose 1989's Warren Spahn, which featured a red star pattern on a yellow background. I've placed the puzzle on the left side of the diamond, to honor the HOF lefty. Layered underneath spray-painted plexiglass.
More about my 34" diamond baseball card artworks
- My paintings are done on plywood as homage to the game's wooden bats, and shaped like diamonds... a reference to the infield.
- Each diamond is made from a 24" plywood square (1/2" thick), which measures 34" x 34" when hung on a wall.
- Some of my artworks also incorporate the use of spray-painted plexiglass.
- Each painting ships ready to hang, with hardware already installed.
- A printed and signed description of the artwork will be attached to the back prior to shipping.
- All pieces are original artwork by yours truly, Matthew Lee Rosen.